synced commits to master at seasharp/meson_mirror from mirror
- e19a49b895 Fix static archives stripping (#5905)
* Do not strip static archives
Stripping static archives without more fine-grained options (e.g. `-g`)
leads to failures such as
ld: libfoo.a: error adding symbols: archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
because GNU strip removes *every* symbol in a static archive by default.
Given that static archives are not final build artifacts (unlike
executables and shared libraries), stripping them gains little and only
causes more edge case failures.
* Gentoo's portage only strips debug information:
* Fedora also only strips debug information:
* Debian also only does some very light stripping:
* Add test case for static archive stripping
1 week ago